Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My cold feet tell me I should have turned on the heat

I'm finally the owner of a FULL DRIVER'S LICENCE.  It came in the mail all the way from Canada.  But why did customs feel the need to open it?  I mean, they only opened it a little.  You can not in any way see inside the envelope.  I guess they hold it upside down and see if a white power falls out?  Don't send your home made baking powder by mail.  At least my picture looks good.  I needed a hair cut and now my driver's licence will suggest to anyone who is required by law to ask me for it that I am the handsome bassist for an Oasis cover band.

The kids at school all have box cutters.  Have I mentioned this before?  I have been wondering a lot about what that means.  A lot of people would tell you that if you give over a thousand kids knives, pack them 35 a room and leave them unattended several times a day there would be at least one set of stiches in a year.  So far so good though.  Do we think too poorly of kids, treat them as though their heads are held on by string and teach them to act accordingly?  Or is this a master stroke, hiding what every boy in the seventh grade really wants right in front of his face so he doesn't even realize how much stupid fun he could be having with it?...

Today was the first day of my 'beginner' after school speaking class.  Things were going alright and I got a little ambitious near the end.  You can't explain to a kid who doesn't understand you at all that you've made a mistake and your time is nearly up so you'll be brainstorming and coming at this lesson from a different and more 'you-don't-speak-English' angle.  You can't explain this to 9 kids either.  And so you don't.  You just tell them, "O.K.  Go.  Leave." and you smile and you hope their parents' are ambivilent enough not to ask them, "what did you learn in your special after school class today?"

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy oh boy, you know you're 25 when you get your first spammer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is bookmarked! I really love the stuff you have put here.

    online pharmacy

    ReplyDelete