Wednesday, March 30, 2011

25th time


Saturday I woke up and it was the day I was born, only twenty-five years later.  That's not what struck me first though.  What struck me first was the thud-thud-thud-and-so-on of construction.  Brittney ran into the room like a kid who's just slammed the door in the face of the weird neighbors' angry dog that go out and chased them down the block.

"Ohmygodthere's a guy with a badmintonracket."

So it wasn't construction, it was an angry person.

Brittney thought it was the man who was angry, hitting something with the badminton racket.  The sound was too deep though.  I didn't believe it.  We phoned Whitney, who lives in 306.

"It's some girl kicking the door," she said, and I could hear the screams now.  Maybe the man had gone to investigate with the racket for protection.  Probably though he is just a sportsm'n.

I am not about to waste an opportunity like this.  I am getting suitably dressed and investigating.  By the time I get up there she's gone.  There is a pillow on the stairs, pink, with two dirty shoe prints stamped in it.  The number pad, (we don't have keys), for the door in question is heavily askew.  I am heading back down the stairs and I pass a girl heading up.  I believed she was a curious neighbor like me, and so I give her the appropriate "search me what's going on" type of shrug.  She says something, I don't remember what but it gives her away clearly as the jackhammer.

"What's the problem?" I ask her.  She's past me at this point, walking up the stairs as I walk down.

"What is your fucking problem," she says through a sob and a thick accent.

There was a bit more pounding, but shortly there after she was admitted entry into the apartment.  Whitney said that she only ever saw an old woman go in there before that morning.  The woman's screaming carried out, but now out of the hallway she was muffled by all the walls between us.  I didn't pay too much attention though.  I was too busy thinking about how I'd woken up twenty-five.  I was so busy with this that I went back to bed.  It was only 8 am.  I would have a long good day.

K.I.S.S.E.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment